Job Posting: Golf Course Superintendent
Date: December 03, 2018
Founded in 1922, Marine Drive Golf Club is a premier and historic private golf club located in desirable Vancouver, British Columbia. Designed by A.V. Macan, and located on the banks of the Fraser River, the golf course continues to provide an exceptional test of golf and has earned the respect of many fine players. Marine Drive is home to legends such as Stan Leonard, Marilyn Palmer-O’Connor, Johnny Johnston, Doug Roxburgh and Richard Zokol and has hosted the Canadian Women’s, Men’s, Senior Men’s & Junior Boys’ Championships, 1999 Ladies’ Commonwealth Trophy Matches, the 1992 World Amateur Championship, and many other events.
Marine Drive is seeking a driven and progressive industry leader to successfully fill the position of Golf Course Superintendent. The Superintendent will collaborate with the Chief Operating Officer to accomplish the Club’s goals and vision including setting the highest standards for course conditioning and maintenance in the country. The Club has recently embarked on a Golf Course Master Plan project with renowned Golf Course Designer, Jim Urbina and is in the early stages of strategizing these exciting enhancements to the golf course. The successful candidate will lead the Links Department through this Master Plan while setting new conditioning and maintenance standards for the Club and industry.
- Inspiring a shared vision for the golf course and leading a strong team of Links Staff to understand this new vision.
- Hiring, educating, and coaching the Links Staff to build on our family culture and encourage employees to reach their full potential.
- Collaborate with Golf Course Architect, Jim Urbina and the Links Committee to implement the vision of the Golf Course Master Plan.
- Overseeing, monitoring and adhering to the golf course operational and capital budgets while implementing strategic changes when necessary.
- Be an integral part of the Senior Leadership Team and work with the Chief Operating Officer on achieving strategic objectives.
- Sources, negotiates and coordinates all relationships with vendors/contractors for work required on the golf course and capital projects.
- Communicating on a regular basis through multiple mediums (video, social media, blogs, email blasts) to the Leadership Team, Links Committee and membership when necessary.
- Exceptional ability to lead, develop and inspire teams.
- Prior experience managing large teams of seasonal staff.
- Ability to foster and build a supportive family culture where employees feel motivated and valued.
- Personal integrity, ambition, empathy and a commitment to continual education.
- Excellent communication skills: written, verbal and presentation.
- Strong work ethic and a commitment to achieving excellence.
- Experience in Project Management and implementation of golf course renovations.
- Relevant education in agronomy or plant and soil sciences.
- AGS, AAGS, MS, CGCS, CCM or commitment to professional development is an asset.
A competitive compensation and benefits package will be offered commensurate with skills and experience. We are open to candidates across the country with a possible relocation budget. Please reply electronically to Tom Schellenberg by Monday, December 17, 2018. Only successful candidates will be contacted for interviews.
Tom Schellenberg l Chief Operating Officer
Marine Drive Golf Club
7425 Yew St. l Vancouver, BC l V6P 6H1